Who We Are
Chris & Nancy Momose
Ikoma Chapel Pastor
To fellowship in the love of Christ, become disciples of Christ, spread the Gospel, and enlarge the Church (the body of Christ) — ALL FOR THE GLORY OF GOD!
International Chapel Ministries (ICM) is a conservative Evangelical, Protestant, Bible-believing, and Bible-teaching group of churches and ministries begun in the Kansai area of Japan in 1981. International Chapel has churches in two locations: Ikoma City (Nara Prefecture) and Kyotanabe City (Kyoto Prefecture). Ikoma International Chapel (IIC) is pastored by Chris Momose.
Ikoma Chapel is bilingual, with our worship service music and message in both English and Japanese. Professional teachers teach English conversation to those who want to study before our worship service. We have a warm, friendly environment where Internationals and internationally-minded Japanese can enjoy cultural exchange and improve their language skills as they learn more about the Good News of Jesus Christ!
Our goal is to bring the message of salvation by faith in Jesus Christ to those living in Japan, regardless of nationality, and to equip them to be committed followers of Christ who are able and eager to share the Good News with the people around them. We believe that every Christian has some special gift given by God for service in the local church, and our desire is to train those in our community to develop and use their gifts in the Church and in their vocation.
ICM is a lay movement, fully independent of overseas control. Our doctrinal roots go back to the 16th-century Protestant Reformation. Please see our statement of faith (What We Believe) below.
What We Believe
Ikoma International Chapel takes a Biblical position on its governing doctrine and values. In our statement of faith below, you can learn what we believe about:
- The Bible: We believe the Scriptures, both the Old and New Testaments, to be the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of men, and the divine and final authority for all Christian faith and life.
- God: We believe in one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons — Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ: We believe that Jesus Christ is true God and true man, having been conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He rose bodily from the dead and ascended into heaven where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Advocate.
- The Holy Spirit: We believe that the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, and during this age to convict men of sin, regenerate the believing sinner, and then indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly living (the fruit of the Spirit) and service (spiritual gifting).
- Sin: We believe that man was created in the image of God but fell into sin and is, therefore, lost. Only through regeneration by the Holy Spirit can man obtain salvation and spiritual life.
- Salvation: We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe, and only those who receive Jesus Christ are born of the Holy Spirit and, thus, become children of God.
- Baptism and Communion: We believe that baptism (by immersion) and the Lord’s Supper are ordinances to be observed by those who are born again by faith in Christ. They are not to be regarded as means of salvation.
- The Church: We believe that the true Church is composed of all such persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the body of Christ, of which He is the Head.
- Church Membership: We believe that only those who are thus members of the true Church are eligible for membership in the local church.
- Church Governance: We believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord and Head of the Church, and that every local church has the right under Christ to decide and govern its own affairs.
- Christ’s Return: We believe in the personal second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and that this “blessed hope” has a vital bearing on the personal life and service of the believer.
- Bodily Resurrection: We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead — of the believer to everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord, and of the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment.